Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tagging, folksonomies, del.icio.us and LibraryThing

This week is the easiest to see how it can be useful in our environment. Bookmarks that can be access from everywhere is a really good tool in itself but I can see how it can be used in a library environment.

Like wikis it allows community collaboration which is great. I can really see the use for research assistance. The danger like any community thing is that it gets large and hard to control. But that is an unavoidable consequence of such technologies and the tools given to restrict and create own little communities within the larger structure is good to overcome this.

Looking at Technorati it suprised me how few results there were for "bookmobile", only one in general search but a few more using advanced search, (searching posts, all). I am surprised there are so few. But then it's not really finding anything for nswpln2008 so I suspect things have changed since this was developed. That is certainly the case with del.icio.us.

I've heard about LibraryThing before but I've never used it or had an indepth look at how it works. Again it seems fun, but I'm not sure how relevant to a public library.



more coherent thoughts later

1 comment:

  1. Yes - we are going to have a look at the program soon and see if we need to do a few tweaks because things keep changing.

    ReplyDelete

News Editors' Blog